Image Map

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Vieux Port

Last Thursday God blessed Marseille with an absolutely beautiful day.  It was 60 degrees and sunny with only a few clouds in the sky.  Cheri and I had some free time so went ventured down to Vieux Port (Old Port) to explore.




Fun fact - Marseille was founded around 600 BC making it the oldest city in France




The port played a huge role in Marseille's economy - trading and fishing. It also brought in a great mixture of people & cultures.


That church at the very top of the hill? That's Notre-Dame de la Garde, arguably Marseille's most recognizable monuments. This church is visible from almost every part of the city and overlooks the various ports. The people here in Marseille see Notre-Dame de la Garde as the guardian & protector of the city, often referring to it as "the good mother." 

Marseille was the European Capital of Culture in 2013




I can't wait to see what this view looks like when the trees are in bloom!


M for Marseille or M for Mary Beth?


This couple made my heart smile.

The more I get to explore this city, the more I fall in love with it.  I wish that everyone could be here with me to experience it's history, culture, and beauty but since that is not possible I hope these pictures give you a glimpse of what it is like.

à la prochaine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by & commenting! I look forward to reading your comment and responding!